Elon vs Stony Brook Predictions
Elon is on the road playing Stony Brook at the Island Federal Credit Union Arena stadium on Thursday, 2/2/2023 @ 7:00pm EST. Stony Brook is the betting favorite opening at -3 and the current line is Stony Brook -3.5.
From Long Island, N.Y., Elon (3-19 SU, 1-8 CAA) is coming off its first conference win of the season and will face Stony Brook (8-14 SU, 4-5 CAA) at 7pm ET on Thursday night. Due to the fact that Stony Brook is joining the CAA for the first time, this will be the first time these teams have met.
Elon finally wins a Division I gameThe truth is out there
It hurts to hear the truth. The Elon basketball team has had a terrible season so far. They had never beaten a Division I team before beating Drexel 72-58 last Saturday. After covering four of five games and losing 66-62 to Towson at home as a 10.5-point favorite on Jan. 21, there were signs the Phoenix were about to break through. The Phoenix beat a pretty talented Drexel team at home last Saturday thanks to Sean Halloran's 18 points and five assists. Elon shot 56% from the field and 58% (7-of-12) from long range, while holding the Draongs to only 40% (7-of-27 3pt).
The Seawolves broke their losing streak
The transition from the America East seemed fairly easy for Stony Brook after starting out 3-1 in the CAA. The situation changed after they defeated Drexel 67-66 at home on Jan. 12. Before finally beating Hampton 71-66 on the road on Jan. 28, the Seawolves lost four straight games (NC A&T, Northeastern, UNCW, W&M). This team may be able to get on track again with a one-point home win over Hampton. On 11-of-20 shooting, Frankie Policelli led Stony Brook with 34 points (31 in the second half) and 12 rebounds. From the field, the Seawolves shot 47% and from beyond the arc, they hit 5-of-18. Only 35% of the Pirates' shots were made from the field, while 24% were from long range (6-of-25).
According to that line, Stephenson-Moore is not playing even though he is not listed on the injury report. Elon has a record of 0-10 on the road and 0-12 away from Elon. In the wake of their last victories, both teams gained some momentum. According to KenPom, Elon is ranked 334 and Stony Brook is ranked 323. While we're not talking about a battle of behemoths, the Seawolves are a competent home team, shooting 37% from beyond the arc and holding teams to 43.4%.
Phoenix vs Seawolves Prediction for Tonight's Game
Based on recent trends and stats, the Scorecaster predicts Seawolves to win tonight's game by 10 points. This model factors in recent against the spread (ATS) trends and scoring which predicts Seawolves to cover the 4 point spread and the total to go under 133.5 points.
PREDICTED SCORE: Elon 61 to Stony Brook 71
Scorecaster algorithmic predictions factor in up-to-date player injuries for both the Elon Phoenix and Stony Brook Seawolves, plus recent team & player performances and defensive & offensive matchups from recent history.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- From the lines set by Sportsbooks, they predict the score to be ELON 63.25, STONY 70.25.
- Based on the moneyline, the implied probability that Stony Brook will win straight-up is 62%.
- 53% of SportsJaw predicts Stony Brook Seawolves to cover.
- OddsShark has not made a prediction yet.
- 66% picked Stony Brook Seawolves on Covers.com
With a power ranking of 259, Elon is ranked #325 in offense (scoring an average of 65.52 per game), #292 in defense (allowing an average of 73.52 points to be scored against them per game) and are 3-19 (9-11 ATS) this season.
Stony Brook Highlights
Stony Brook Seawolves has a power ranking of 329 and are #342 for offense (scoring an average of 63.38 per game), #160 for defense (giving up an average of 68.43 points per game) and 8-14 (12-8 ATS) overall. Elon went 0-0 (0-0 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Stony Brook.
Elon Offensive Stats
- The Phoenix are ranked #325 in offense scoring an average of 65.52 per game.
- The Phoenix hit an average of 41.13% of their field goals (ranked #327 in the NCAAB) and 71.51% of their free throws (ranked #178 in the NCAAB) per game.
- Elon makes an average of 29.70% of their three pointers (ranked #342 in the NCAAB).
- Elon averages 33.57 rebounds per game (ranked # 268 in the NCAAB).
- The Phoenix average 12.48 offensive assists and 12.86 turnovers per game (ranked # 248 and 198 respectively).
Stony Brook Offensive Stats
- The Seawolves are ranked #325 in offense scoring an average of 65.52 per game.
- The Seawolves hit an average of 41.45% of their field goals (ranked #318 in the NCAAB) and 75.29% of their free throws (ranked #39 in the NCAAB) per game.
- Stony Brook makes an average of 32.19% of their three pointers (ranked #286 in the NCAAB).
- Stony Brook averages 33.33 rebounds per game (ranked # 275 in the NCAAB).
- The Seawolves average 11.62 offensive assists and 12.10 turnovers per game (ranked # 248 and 115 respectively).
Elon Defensive Stats
- The Phoenix are ranked #325 in defense allowing an average of 65.52 points to be scored on them per game.
- The Phoenix allow an average of 44.75% field goals (ranked #266 in the NCAAB) and 69.05% free throws (ranked #100 in the NCAAB) per game.
- Elon allows an average of 34.44% of the three pointers (ranked #242 in the NCAAB).
- Elon averages 37.38 rebounds per game (ranked # 37.38 in the NCAAB).
- The Phoenix average 14.57 defensive assists and 12.19 turnovers per game (ranked # 315 and 254 respectively).
Stony Brook Defensive Stats
- The Seawolves are ranked #325 in defense allowing an average of 65.52 points to be scored on them per game.
- The Seawolves allow an average of 43.01% field goals (ranked #164 in the NCAAB) and 68.60% of the free throws (ranked #83 in the NCAAB) per game.
- Stony Brook allows an average of 36.16% of their three pointers (ranked #312 in the NCAAB).
- Stony Brook averages 34.14 rebounds per game (ranked # 34.14 in the NCAAB).
- The Seawolves average 13.62 defensive assists and 9.29 turnovers per game (ranked # 315 and 361 respectively).
- Phoenix has a slight advantage in regards to ball control (factoring in rebounds and turnovers).
- The Scorecaster model predicts Seawolves to cover the 4 point spread and the total to go under 133.5 points.
- For the best predictions available, make sure to checkout the best bets made by our certified NCAAB experts.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
- Elon are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Elon's last 5 games.
- Elon are 1-11 SU in their last 12 games.
- Elon are 0-10 SU in their last 10 games on the road.
- Elon are 1-9 SU in their last 10 games against an opponent in the Colonial Athletic conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Elon's last 16 games played in February.
- Elon are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games played on a Thursday.
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Elon's last 8 games played on a Thursday when on the road.
Stony Brook Seawolves
- Stony Brook are 10-3 ATS in their last 13 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Stony Brook's last 18 games.
- Stony Brook are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games.
- Stony Brook are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games at home.
- Stony Brook are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games against an opponent in the Colonial Athletic conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Stony Brook's last 14 games played in February.
- Stony Brook are 2-9 SU in their last 11 games played on a Thursday.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Stony Brook's last 6 games played on a Thursday when at home.
Injuries[ - ]
- There are no injuries listed at this time
- GTyler Stephenson-Moore (Is downgraded to doubtful Thursday vs Elon, Undisclosed)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
Both teams have a compariable offense and the Seawolves have a slightly better defense. The Tribe won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Phoenix 66 to Seawolves 73.
Stony Brook Injuries
- G Tyler Stephenson-Moore Is downgraded to doubtful Thursday vs Elon, Undisclosed