Illinois vs Wisconsin Basketball Predictions & Best Bets
Illinois is on the road playing Wisconsin at the Kohl Center stadium on Saturday, 1/28/2023 @ 3:00pm EST. Illinois -1 was the opening favorite and line hasn't moved.
In the Badger State, two Big Ten teams will battle for victory on the hardwood. Saturday afternoon, the Illinois Fighting Illini will face the Wisconsin Badgers on the road. On Tuesday night, Illinois covered the line as a four-point favorite to defeat Ohio State 69-60 at home. Wisconsin was beaten 73-55 by Maryland in their previous game, failing to cover the line as a five-point underdog. Having won the last five meetings between these teams, the Fighting Illini hold an all-time advantage of 79-55. January 7 was the first time the two teams met this season, and the home team won 79-69.
Fighting Illini look to drop the Badgers for the sixth straight time
Taking down Ohio State at home, Illinois won for the fifth time in their last six games. With a 5-4 record in conference play, the Fighting Illini improved to 14-6 overall. At intermission, Illinois led Ohio State by eight points after taking a two-point lead with under six minutes to play in the first half. With a 14-5 run in the opening four-plus minutes of the second half, the Fighting Illini built a 48-31 lead and never relinquished it. The Fighting Illini shot 40.7% from the field, including five of 28 from three-point range, and controlled the boards by a 44-30 margin. Terrence Shannon Jr. led the way with 17 points and seven rebounds.
Turning Things Around For The Wisconsin Badgers
As a result of Maryland's rather easy victory over Wisconsin on the road in their previous game, Wisconsin dropped their second straight game. This season, the Badgers have a 4-5 record and are tied for ninth in the conference with a 12-7 overall record. Wisconsin led Maryland 32-23 with 2:11 to play in the first half, but a 12-0 run over the next three minutes erased its three-point lead. Despite taking a four-point lead at intermission, the Badgers gave up a 17-8 run in the first five minutes of the second half to fall behind 49-36. In the end, they came up just eight short of winning. With Connor Essegian leading the Badgers with 19 points, the Badgers shot 39.6% from the floor, including seven of 17 from beyond the arc. Maryland shot 56% from the field.
Due to COVID-19 issues, Wisconsin has rescheduled two games and lost two of them. In previous years, the Badgers possessed a dominant scoring option and a veteran leader who carried the team. The Wisconsin Badgers are without Johnny Davis and Brad Davison this season. With five players putting up more than nine points per game, Illinois defeated Ohio State. The team has also played well this year, and they have effective leadership. We expect Illinois to win here by taking advantage of Wisconsin's struggles.
With a power ranking of 23, Illinois is ranked #85 in offense (scoring an average of 75.85 per game), #54 in defense (allowing an average of 64.30 points to be scored against them per game) and are 14-6 (12-8 ATS) this season.
Wisconsin Badgers has a power ranking of 292 and are #310 for offense (scoring an average of 66.39 per game), #30 for defense (giving up an average of 64.30 points per game) and 12-7 (8-11 ATS) overall. Illinois went 0-3 (0-3 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Wisconsin.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- From the lines set by Sportsbooks, they predict the score to be ILL 64.75, WISCN 66.75.
- The SportsJaw community predicts Illinois Fighting Illini to cover (54%)
- OddsShark predicts Illinois will win, cover the spread, and the total will go over.
- 65% picked Illinois Fighting Illini on Covers.com
- Our ScoreCaster predicts Fighting Illini 74 to Badgers 69.
Our prediction: Fighting Illini 74 to Badgers 69.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
Illinois Fighting Illini
- Illinois are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games.
- Illinois are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games.
- Illinois are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games against Wisconsin.
- Illinois are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games against Wisconsin.
- Illinois are 12-6 SU in their last 18 games on the road.
- Illinois are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games when playing on the road against Wisconsin.
- Illinois are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference.
- Illinois are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games played in January.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Illinois' last 6 games played on a Saturday.
- Wisconsin are 0-9 ATS in their last 9 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Wisconsin's last 10 games.
- Wisconsin are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Wisconsin's last 5 games against Illinois.
- Wisconsin are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games at home.
- Wisconsin are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games when playing at home against Illinois.
- Wisconsin are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference.
- Wisconsin are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games played in January.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Wisconsin's last 6 games played on a Saturday when at home.
Injuries[ - ]
- GLuke Goode (Is out indefinitely, Foot)
- GSkyy Clark (Is out indefinitely, Left Team)
- GJahcobi Neath (Is out for season, Lower Body)
- GMax Klesmit (Is "?" Saturday vs Illinois, Upper Body)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
The Fighting Illini have a stronger offense and both teams have a compariable defense. The Fighting Illini won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Fighting Illini 73 to Badgers 65.
- G Luke Goode Is out indefinitely, Foot
- G Skyy Clark Is out indefinitely, Left Team
- G Jahcobi Neath Is out for season, Lower Body
- G Max Klesmit Is "?" Saturday vs Illinois, Upper Body
After crunching 8 data points, our relative predictions model has elected to not make a prediction on this game - view the Illinois vs Wisconsin infographic for details.