South Dakota St. vs Western Illinois Prediction & Best Bets
South Dakota St. is on the road playing Western Illinois at the Western Hall stadium on Saturday, 1/28/2023 @ 3:00pm EST. South Dakota St. -1.5 was the opening favorite and line hasn't moved.
Today, the South Dakota State Jackrabbits will play their 22nd game of the season, finishing with an 11-10 record. The Jackrabbits will play their 13th game of the season on the road, where they have recorded 5-8. As of this writing, South Dakota State sits at 9-4 after winning 13 of its 13 games this season. There is a betting line set at -1.5 points in South Dakota State's favor for today's game. The Jackrabbits will rely on the team's leading scorer Zeke Mayo, who averages 16.52 points per game for the team. Besides scoring on the perimeter, Mayo also plays an instrumental role in the team's success. Among the team's 3-point shooters, he leads the way. The Jackrabbits' offensive game plan is also driven by Matt Dentlinger, who averages 10.67 points per game while hitting 56.0% of his field goal attempts.
This will be the 22nd win for the Western Illinois Leathernecks and they are in the middle of a 4 game winning streak. The Leathernecks have a record of 10-2 when they are the home team. As underdogs, the Leathernecks have won 3-6 straight up in the past nine games. They are +1.5 underdogs on the spread heading into today's contest. Trenton Massner, Western Illinois' top scorer, is averaging 18.15 points per game for the Leathernecks. It is also critical for Massner to contribute on the perimeter to the team's scoring efforts. In terms of 3-point shots made, he leads the team so far. A key component of the Leathernecks' offensive game plan is Alec Rosner, who is averaging 14.24 points per game while hitting 44.2% of his field goal attempts.
This game between the South Dakota State Jackrabbits and Western Illinois Leathernecks was influenced largely by 3-point shooting, according to our analysis. It is expected that both teams will make more 3s per game than average. Western Illinois and South Dakota State rank 83rd and 130rd in that department, respectively. We anticipate South Dakota State to continue to shoot the ball well after crunching the numbers. Their deep shots have been successful 44.9% of the time so far this season. South Dakota State is favored by -1.5, so we think they will not only win but also cover the spread.
South Dakota St. Highlights
With a power ranking of 56, South Dakota St. is ranked #260 in offense (scoring an average of 68.35 per game), #195 in defense (allowing an average of 69.65 points to be scored against them per game) and are 11-10 (8-11-1 ATS) this season.
Western Illinois Highlights
Western Illinois Leathernecks has a power ranking of 121 and are #110 for offense (scoring an average of 75.00 per game), #240 for defense (giving up an average of 69.65 points per game) and 13-8 (10-8 ATS) overall. South Dakota St. went 0-3 (1-2 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Western Illinois.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- Based on the current lines, Oddsmakers predict the score to be SD.ST 69.25, W.ILL 72.25.
- 50% of SportsJaw players predict Western Illinois Leathernecks to cover.
- OddsShark's prediction is South Dakota State will win, cover the spread, and the total will go over.
- 52% picked Western Illinois Leathernecks on Covers.com
- SportsJaw's ScoreCaster prediction: Jackrabbits 67 to Leathernecks 72.
Our prediction: Jackrabbits 67 to Leathernecks 72.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
South Dakota St.
Betting Trends[ + ]
South Dakota St. Jackrabbits
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of South Dakota State's last 9 games.
- South Dakota State are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games.
- South Dakota State are 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games against Western Illinois.
- South Dakota State are 7-0 SU in their last 7 games against Western Illinois.
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of South Dakota State's last 7 games on the road.
- South Dakota State are 11-1 SU in their last 12 games when playing on the road against Western Illinois.
- South Dakota State are 17-3 SU in their last 20 games against an opponent in the Summit League conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of South Dakota State's last 7 games played in January.
- South Dakota State are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games played on a Saturday when playing on the road.
Western Illinois Leathernecks
- Western Illinois are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games.
- Western Illinois are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games.
- Western Illinois are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games at home.
- Western Illinois are 1-11 SU in their last 12 games when playing at home against South Dakota State.
- Western Illinois are 6-12 ATS in their last 18 games against an opponent in the Summit League conference.
- Western Illinois are 4-8 ATS in their last 12 games played on a Saturday.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Western Illinois' last 5 games played on a Saturday when at home.
Injuries[ - ]
South Dakota St.
- GAlex Arians (Is OUT Saturday vs Western Illinois, Undisclosed)
- GCharlie Easley (Is out indefinitely, Undisclosed)
- FLuke Appel (Is "?" Saturday vs Western Illinois, Flu)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
The Leathernecks have a slightly better offense and both teams have a compariable defense. The Jackrabbits won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Jackrabbits 74 to Leathernecks 71.
South Dakota St. Injuries
- G Alex Arians Is OUT Saturday vs Western Illinois, Undisclosed
- G Charlie Easley Is out indefinitely, Undisclosed
- F Luke Appel Is "?" Saturday vs Western Illinois, Flu
After crunching 8 relative data points, our relative predictions model has a 63% confidence Leathernecks will cover the spread - view the South Dakota St. vs Western Illinois infographic for details on this prediction.