Boston College vs Virginia Prediction, Odds and Best Bets
Boston College is on the road playing Virginia at the John Paul Jones Arena stadium on Saturday, 1/28/2023 @ 12:00pm EST. Virginia -16.5 was the opening favorite and current line is Virginia -15.
The Virginia Cavaliers (15-3, 7-11 ATS, 10-8 O/U) and Boston College Eagles (10-11, 9-12 ATS, 12-9 O/U) clash on Saturday afternoon in an ACC showdown. The Eagles beat Louisville on Wednesday at home. The Cavaliers won their previous game against Wake Forest on the road. In their lone meeting last season, Virginia beat Boston College 67-55.
A second consecutive win for Boston College
Three consecutive victories are on the line for the Boston College Eagles. Earlier this month, Boston College lost four games, including two on the road, but has responded well. A convincing 75-65 win against a horrible Louisville team on Wednesday lifted them to 4-6 in ACC play after a dominating 84-72 road win over Notre Dame last weekend. In three straight games, they have covered the spread.
The Commonwealth of Virginia seeks its sixth straight victory
In the ACC, the Virginia Cavaliers are one of the hottest teams. As a result of a stifling defense, they have recorded five consecutive victories. After beating North Carolina, FSU, and Virginia Tech, Virginia beat Wake Forest 76-67 on Saturday to climb to 7-2 in conference play. Against Miami Florida and Pittsburgh, the Cavaliers lost both conference games. In three of their last four games, they have covered the spread.
In the last six games, the Boston College Eagles have only won two, and those victories came against Notre Dame and Louisville, who both have zero conference wins. A five-game winning streak for Virginia has been highlighted by victories over North Carolina and Wake Forest. Aside from that, the Eagles have a terrible offense. Their average score per 100 possessions comes out at 100.5, which places them 246th in the nation. The Virginia defense ranks 25th in adjusted defensive efficiency. This spread is more than reasonable for Virginia since it is averaging 15 more points per 100 possessions than Boston College.
Boston College Highlights
With a power ranking of 324, Boston College is ranked #312 in offense (scoring an average of 66.33 per game), #187 in defense (allowing an average of 69.48 points to be scored against them per game) and are 10-11 (9-12 ATS) this season.
Virginia Cavaliers has a power ranking of 30 and are #209 for offense (scoring an average of 70.33 per game), #12 for defense (giving up an average of 69.48 points per game) and 15-3 (7-11 ATS) overall. Boston College went 3-0 (3-0 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Virginia.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- Based on the current lines, Oddsmakers predict the score to be BC 77.25, VIRGA 47.25.
- 51% of SportsJaw players predict Virginia Cavaliers to cover.
- OddsShark's prediction is Virginia will win, cover the spread, and the total will go over.
- 72% picked Boston College Eagles on Covers.com
- SportsJaw's ScoreCaster prediction: Eagles 60 to Cavaliers 73.
Our prediction: Eagles 60 to Cavaliers 73.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
Boston College Eagles
- Boston College are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Boston College's last 5 games.
- Boston College are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games.
- Boston College are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games against Virginia.
- Boston College are 1-9 SU in their last 10 games against Virginia.
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Boston College's last 7 games on the road.
- Boston College are 0-7 SU in their last 7 games when playing on the road against Virginia.
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Boston College's last 12 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- Boston College are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games played in January.
- Boston College are 1-9 SU in their last 10 games played on a Saturday.
- Virginia are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Virginia's last 7 games.
- Virginia are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Virginia's last 5 games against Boston College.
- Virginia are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games at home.
- Virginia are 7-0 SU in their last 7 games when playing at home against Boston College.
- The total has gone OVER in 13 of Virginia's last 20 games played in January.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Virginia's last 5 games played on a Saturday.
- Virginia are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games played on a Saturday when playing at home.
Injuries[ - ]
- GDonald Hand Jr. (Is out for season, ACL)
- GDante Harris (Is out for season, Left Team)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
I expect points to be at a premium. Boston College won't be able to solve the Cavaliers' stifling defense. They are shooting an abysmal 43.4% on the season including a poor 29.7% mark from three-point range. Boston College is pegged 246th in DI in adjusted offensive efficiency. They have scored 65 or fewer points in meetings against Syracuse, Duke, Wake Forest, and North Carolina. Also the Cavs play at a slower pace and prefer to go deep into the shot clock. They don't usually post big numbers as a result. They have only averaged 71 points in their last four games including 67 against Florida State in that span.
The Cavaliers have a slightly better offense and the Cavaliers have a stronger defense. The Cavaliers won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Eagles 61 to Cavaliers 77.
After crunching 8 data points, our relative predictions model has elected to not make a prediction on this game - view the Boston College vs Virginia infographic for details.