Minnesota vs Northwestern Basketball Predictions & Best Bets
Minnesota is on the road playing Northwestern at the Welsh-Ryan Arena stadium on Saturday, 1/28/2023 @ 12:00pm EST. Northwestern -12.5 was the opening favorite and current line is Northwestern -12.
Welsh-Ryan Arena will host the Minnesota Golden Gophers and Northwestern Wildcats on Saturday. The game will be played in Evanston, IL, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Indiana defeated Minnesota on Wednesday, 7-12 SU and 8-10-1 ATS. There have been four straight losses for the Gophers and seven of the last eight Big Ten games. A 14-5 SU record and an 11-8 ATS record helped Northwestern defeat Nebraska on Wednesday. Three of the Wildcats' past five games have been wins and five of their last eight games have been wins in the Big Ten.
Although Minnesota is dealing with injuries, it is still fighting
In addition to a disappointing loss to Michigan, the Golden Gophers also suffered a close one to Indiana. The team lost by eight points, dropping them to last place in the conference standings. In the end, Minnesota lost to the Hoosiers on Trayce Jackson-Davis' go-ahead basket. Despite Dawson Garcia's (14.9 PPG) and Pharrel Payne's (7.2 PPG and 4.7 RPG) absences, only seven scholarship players remained. The Gophers shot 22-for-64 from the field (34.4%), and 5-for-25 from distance (20%). A 45-39 margin of victory was also achieved in the area of rebounding.
It is the right time for Northwestern to round into form
As of mid-February, Northwestern is just three games behind conference leader Purdue in the Big Ten title race. It was Northwestern's first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2016-17 after Wednesday's win at Nebraska. After outscoring Nebraska 43-30 in the first half, the Wildcats never looked back, winning their seventh consecutive game. The Cavaliers shot 29-for-56 from the floor (51.8%) and had nine offensive rebounds to outrebound the Huskers 35-23. Only three points separated Northwestern from the loser. Northwestern led by as many as 23 points.
The Northwestern Wildcats seem to be destined for greatness. There is still time for the Wildcats to impress the selection committee with more victories in the upcoming weeks. To achieve this, they must defeat teams like Minnesota at home, which is why they believe they will win convincingly.
There are two key players missing from Minnesota's lineup, and the team has been through the ringer without any success. A game-ready Wildcats team itching to prove its mettle would require an uncharacteristic performance from the Gophers. Undermanned Minnesota will have problems dealing with Northwestern's lockdown defense. This game could see the offensively-inept Gophers struggle to score more than 55 points.
With a power ranking of 334, Minnesota is ranked #350 in offense (scoring an average of 62.21 per game), #115 in defense (allowing an average of 66.95 points to be scored against them per game) and are 7-12 (9-10 ATS) this season.
Northwestern Wildcats has a power ranking of 158 and are #239 for offense (scoring an average of 69.26 per game), #17 for defense (giving up an average of 66.95 points per game) and 14-5 (11-8 ATS) overall. Minnesota went 1-2 (1-2 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Northwestern.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- From the lines set by Sportsbooks, they predict the score to be MINN 74.75, NWEST 50.75.
- The SportsJaw community predicts Minnesota Golden Gophers to cover (51%)
- OddsShark predicts Northwestern will win, minnesota will cover, and the total will go over.
- 59% picked Minnesota Golden Gophers on Covers.com
- Our ScoreCaster predicts Golden Gophers 68 to Wildcats 71.
Our prediction: Golden Gophers 68 to Wildcats 71.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Minnesota are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Minnesota's last 10 games.
- Minnesota are 1-6 SU in their last 7 games.
- Minnesota are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games against Northwestern.
- Minnesota are 6-2 SU in their last 8 games against Northwestern.
- Minnesota are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games on the road.
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Minnesota's last 10 games when playing on the road against Northwestern.
- Minnesota are 1-13 SU in their last 14 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference.
- Minnesota are 1-8 SU in their last 9 games played in January.
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Minnesota's last 9 games played on a Saturday.
- Northwestern are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Northwestern's last 5 games.
- Northwestern are 9-3 SU in their last 12 games.
- Northwestern are 11-3 SU in their last 14 games at home.
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Northwestern's last 10 games when playing at home against Minnesota.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Northwestern's last 6 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference.
- Northwestern are 5-15 SU in their last 20 games played in January.
- Northwestern are 9-2 ATS in their last 11 games played on a Saturday.
- Northwestern are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games played on a Saturday when playing at home.
Injuries[ - ]
- FDawson Garcia (Is "?" Saturday vs Northwestern, Ankle)
- GBraeden Carrington (Is out indefinitely, Leg)
- FPharrel Payne (Is "?" Saturday vs Northwestern, Concussion)
- GJulian Roper II (Is "?" Saturday vs Minnesota, Ankle)
- FLuke Hunger (Is out for season, Foot)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
The Wildcats have a stronger offense and the Wildcats have a slightly better defense. The Golden Gophers won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Golden Gophers 62 to Wildcats 74.
- F Dawson Garcia Is "?" Saturday vs Northwestern, Ankle
- G Braeden Carrington Is out indefinitely, Leg
- F Pharrel Payne Is "?" Saturday vs Northwestern, Concussion
- G Julian Roper II Is "?" Saturday vs Minnesota, Ankle
- F Luke Hunger Is out for season, Foot
After crunching 8 data points, our relative predictions model has elected to not make a prediction on this game - view the Minnesota vs Northwestern infographic for details.