Ball St. vs Northern Illinois Prediction & Best Bets
Ball St. is on the road playing Northern Illinois at the Convocation Center stadium on Saturday, 1/28/2023 @ 4:30pm EST. Ball St. -3.5 was the opening favorite and current line is Ball St. -4.
The Ball State Cardinals (13-7, 4-3 MAC) play the Northern Illinois Huskies (8-12, 4-3 MAC) in a Mid-American Conference game on Saturday in DeKalb, Illinois. A second straight loss for Ball State resulted in a 91-65 loss to Buffalo on Tuesday. A 86-76 win over the Kent State Golden Flashes on Tuesday was Northern Illinois' third in a row and fourth in the last five games. Northern Illinois and Ball State do not have any injuries on their injury lists.
It is Ball State's offense that makes it strong
In three-point shooting, Ball State is shooting 37.1% (47th) and scoring an average of 75.1 (109th) points per game. The Cardinals defense averages 69.3 points (181st) per game, while opponents shoot 43.3% (191st) overall and 36.9% (333rd) from three-point range. With an average of 14.8 points per game, Jarron Coleman is Ball State's leading scorer. Only 38.3% of his shots come from behind the 3-point line, while 37.9% come from the field. The second-leading scorer is Jaylin Sellers, who averages 13.3 points per game while shooting 48.3% overall and 47.0% from beyond the arc.
On defense, Northern Illinois needs to make more stops
In addition to allowing 75.3 points per game, Northern Illinois holds opponents to a field goal shooting percentage of 45.6% (303rd) and a three-point shooting percentage of 39.9% (206th). Averaging 70.4 points (207th) per game, Northern Illinois attempts 45.0% (156th) overall and 34.5% (158th) from 3-point range. Keshawn Williams, Northern Illinois' leading scorer, averages 17.9 points per game while hitting 47.2% from the field and 35.3% from three. Coit scores an average of 15.7
In the last three games, Northern Illinois covered the spread four out of five times. In the last three games, Northern Illinois has averaged 85.0 points per game, which includes wins straight up and against the spread. The most recent victory by Northern Illinois came against Kent State, who is currently ranked first in the Mid-American Conference with a 6-1 record. With an average loss of 23.0 points per game, Ball State has struggled in its previous two games. It has failed to cover the spread in each of its last three games and in six of its prior nine overall. Northern Illinois will take advantage of Ball State's perimeter defense as the Huskies are shooting 34.5% from distance.
Ball St. Highlights
With a power ranking of 362, Ball St. is ranked #97 in offense (scoring an average of 75.58 per game), #154 in defense (allowing an average of 68.16 points to be scored against them per game) and are 13-7 (9-9 ATS) this season.
Northern Illinois Highlights
Northern Illinois Huskies has a power ranking of 40 and are #206 for offense (scoring an average of 70.61 per game), #319 for defense (giving up an average of 68.16 points per game) and 8-11 (10-7 ATS) overall. Ball St. went 1-2 (1-2 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Northern Illinois.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- Based on the current lines, Oddsmakers predict the score to be BALL 68.25, N.ILL 76.25.
- 51% of SportsJaw users predict Ball St. Cardinals to cover.
- OddsShark's prediction is Ball State will win, cover the spread, and the total will go over.
- 68% picked Northern Illinois Huskies on Covers.com
- SportsJaw's ScoreCaster prediction: Cardinals 81 to Huskies 77.
Our prediction: Cardinals 81 to Huskies 77.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
Ball St. Cardinals
- Ball State are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games.
- Ball State are 9-3 SU in their last 12 games.
- Ball State are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against Northern Illinois.
- Ball State are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games against Northern Illinois.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Ball State's last 5 games on the road.
- Ball State are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Northern Illinois.
- Ball State are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games against an opponent in the Mid-American conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Ball State's last 5 games against an opponent in the West Division division.
- Ball State are 7-3 SU in their last 10 games played in January.
Northern Illinois Huskies
- Northern Illinois are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Northern Illinois' last 15 games.
- Northern Illinois are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Northern Illinois' last 10 games against Ball State.
- Northern Illinois are 4-11 SU in their last 15 games at home.
- Northern Illinois are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games when playing at home against Ball State.
- Northern Illinois are 11-2-1 ATS in their last 14 games against an opponent in the Mid-American conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Northern Illinois' last 9 games against an opponent in the West Division division.
- Northern Illinois are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games played in January.
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Northern Illinois' last 13 games played on a Saturday.
Injuries[ - ]
- There are no injuries listed at this time
- GKeshawn Williams (Is out for season, ACL)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
The Cardinals have a slightly better offense and the Cardinals have a stronger defense. The Cardinals won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Cardinals 83 to Huskies 67.
After crunching 8 data points, our relative predictions model has elected to not make a prediction on this game - view the Ball St. vs Northern Illinois infographic for details.