49ers vs Eagles Prediction, Odds and Picks
San Francisco is on the road playing Philadelphia at the Lincoln Financial Field stadium on Sunday, 1/29/2023 @ 3:00pm EST. Philadelphia -2.5 was the opening favorite and line hasn't moved.
Why the San Francisco 49er's Will Win
For everyone waiting for Brock Purdy to show signs of a rookie NFL QB, but that hasn't happened yet and I don't believe it will happen. Albeit the Cowboys defense did make him look rookie 'ish' at times. Purdy has looked like an experienced professional in all of his starts, but it’s also a result of because San Francisco's style of play.
1) Don’t turn the ball over 2) Safe, short-to-midrange passes to 3) elite playmakers like Deebo Samuel, Christian McCaffrey, and George Kittle who can get the YACs (yards after the catch). 4) Rely on a solid running game to take the pressure off, and 5) when in doubt, eat it, live to fight another day, and count on the No. 1 defense in the NFL to take care of the rest.
It takes a quarterback without the ego needed to be fed a slew of downfield shots. That's where Purdy's "Mr. Irrelevant" element comes in handy. Furthermore, Purdy doesn't require a lot of time in this style of offense. The Dallas pass rush certainly got to him enough to matter, but that wasn't always the worst thing. Since he never had to force anything, he was able to avoid making mistakes.
Playing the long game is fine with San Francisco. With just 16 carries between Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard, Dallas helped feed right into the San Francisco style. If San Francisco’s methodical offense is able to control the tempo, the Eagles will have to show the patience to keep running, even if it doesn’t work. It took almost 33 minutes for San Francisco to convert on third down. Yes, San Francisco could not put the game away and settled for too many field goals, but Dallas had to panic a bit even though it was down just one score throughout the second half.
In the last six games, the Eagles have beaten the Giants three times, but their last win over a playoff team came in Week 6.
Why the Philadelphia Eagles Will Win
The Eagles have been superior all season and have the potential to win this game by double digits.
Even when the Raiders got down in overtime, he was okay, the running game took over - Christian McCaffrey was awesome - and the downfield shots were relatively safe. Getting down to this Eagle team isn't the same as getting behind against Las Vegas. Philadelphia has the ability to put their foot on the gas and out the 49ers in this situation. Philadelphia has speedsters at wide receivers, a strong tight end in Dallas Goedert, and enough depth at running back to be able to do a variety of things. Purdy does a great job getting the ball in the hands of his playmakers. No, the Eagles don’t have a running weapon like Christian McCaffrey, and the 49ers don’t have a running weapon like Jalen Hurts.
Each of these things contributes to what the Eagles enjoy doing. The Eagles lead the NFL in yards allowed per pass attempt. Brock Purdy, you like to dink and dunk on quick timing plays? Great. You want to run and keep running, Niners? Fine, but Philadelphia has the ability to do it just as well or better. The Niners are 2-4 when they allow at least 99 rushing yards. Over the past five games, Philadelphia has been held under 100 yards just once ,and when they do, they are 12-0. Also a big reason why the Eagles can win this game is San Francisco will be without one of their top players in DE Charles Omenihu who was arrested on domestic chargers this week.
San Francisco Betting
With a power ranking of 1, San Francisco 49er's is ranked #5 in offense (scoring an average of 27.28 per game), #1 in defense (allowing an average of 16.67 points to be scored against them per game) and are 15-4 (13-6 ATS) this season.
Philadelphia Eagles has a power ranking of 8 and are #3 for offense (scoring an average of 28.61 per game), #5 for defense (giving up an average of 16.67 points per game) and 15-3 (9-9 ATS) overall. San Francisco 49er's went 2-1 (2-1 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- Based on the current lines, Oddsmakers predict the score to be SF 25.75, PHI 20.75.
- 60% of SportsJaw players predict Philadelphia Eagles to cover.
- OddsShark's prediction is Philadelphia will win, cover the spread, and the total will go under.
- 62% picked Philadelphia Eagles on Covers.com
- SportsJaw's ScoreCaster prediction: 49ers 22 to Eagles 25.
49ers vs Eagles Staff Prediction
Even with two top ranked defenses, I expect to see to see some points in this game. The weather in Philadelphia is expected to be perfect for late January, and maybe even a little bit warm. And both offenses have the potential for explosive plays.
It’s not going to be a high-octane firefight, but both offenses should be able to work well enough to make this a back-and-forth battle. Sort of like the San Francisco win over Dallas, field goals will matter, but there’s going to be one big difference.
The difference is that the Eagles won’t buckle in the red zone like the Cowboys. Also as we saw against a stiff Dallas defense, Purdy looked like a rookie at time and I predict the same thing happens Sunday.
For all of the great things San Francisco does, it’s not all that great on either side of the ball inside the 20. It’s going to have to take a few more chances when there’s a scoring opportunity, and that’s just not its style of play.
The defenses will have their moments, but Jalen Hurts and his receiving corp will make a few more plays There's also a good chance DE Charles Omenihu doesn't play for the 49er's here following his arrest on Monday. It’ll be tight throughout, but I predict Eagles pull away late.
Score prediction: 49ers 17 to Eagles 27
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NFL Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
San Francisco 49ers
- San Francisco are 9-1 ATS in their last 10 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of San Francisco's last 5 games.
- San Francisco are 10-0 SU in their last 10 games.
- San Francisco are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games against Philadelphia.
- San Francisco are 3-7 SU in their last 10 games against Philadelphia.
- San Francisco are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games on the road.
- San Francisco are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia.
- San Francisco are 9-0 ATS in their last 9 games against an opponent in the National Football Conference conference.
- San Francisco are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games against an opponent in the National Football Conference East division.
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of San Francisco's last 9 games played on a Sunday.
- Philadelphia are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 5 games.
- Philadelphia are 15-3 SU in their last 18 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 5 games against San Francisco.
- Philadelphia are 8-2 SU in their last 10 games at home.
- Philadelphia are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games when playing at home against San Francisco.
- Philadelphia are 10-3 SU in their last 13 games against an opponent in the National Football Conference conference.
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Philadelphia's last 8 games against an opponent in the National Football Conference West division.
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Philadelphia's last 10 games played in January.
- Philadelphia are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games played on a Sunday when playing at home.
Injuries[ - ]
- QBJimmy Garoppolo (Is out indefinitely, Foot)
- WRJordan Matthews (IR, Knee)
- CBJason Verrett (Is out for season, ACL)
- DTHassan Ridgeway (IR, Pectoral)
- RBChristian McCaffrey (Is probable Sunday vs Philadelphia, Calf)
- DTMaurice Hurst (IR, Biceps)
- CBEmmanuel Moseley (Is out for season, ACL)
- WRDeebo Samuel (Is probable Sunday vs Philadelphia, Ankle)
- DECharles Omenihu (Is probable Sunday vs Philadelphia, Oblique)
- QBTrey Lance (IR; is out for season, Ankle)
- CBAmbry Thomas (Is OUT Sunday vs Philadelphia, Ankle)
- RBEli Mitchell (Is doubtful Sunday vs Philadelphia, Groin)
- QBBrock Purdy (Has returned to game, Wrist)
- DERobert Quinn (IR, Knee)
- DEDerek Barnett (Is out for season, ACL)
- WRGreg Ward (IR, Undisclosed)
- CBAvonte Maddox (Is probable Sunday vs San Francisco, Toe)
- SChauncey Gardner-Johnson (IR, Ribs)
- PArryn Siposs (Is out indefinitely, Leg)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
Charles Omenihu is playing for 49ers today, which means the San Fran defense is as healthy as they've been all season. Note that the Eagles 3 losses this season came from Dallas, New Orleans, and Washington which all have top shelf defenses. I predict the Eagles offense and Jalen Hurts will be slowed here by 49ers elite defense. Oh and Brock Purdy? I've got no concerns about his lack of experience as he's proven naysayers wrong for the last 5 games and I think it does it again here. Going to be a great game but I'm taking San Fran +3 (-120, buying the hook just in case).
Charles Omenihu is playing for 49ers today but I don't think it will matter. Philly has been a machine all year and I'm not betting against them at home, plus I predict Brock Purdy looks like a rookie today against this Eagles defense. Lay the 2.5 here with Philly at home, I like the Eagles in a 27-17 type of game.
Who's punching a ticket to the Super Bowl? ✈️ pic.twitter.com/7KhO5pmCj6— NFL GameDay (@NFLGameDay) January 27, 2023
#49ers team statement DE Charles Omenihu:— Nick Wagoner (@nwagoner) January 24, 2023
“We are aware of the matter involving Charles Omenihu and are in the process of gathering further information."
Omenihu was arrested last night in San Jose on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic violence.
Both teams have a compariable offense and the Eagles have a significantly better defense. The Eagles won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: 49ers 20 to Eagles 25.
- QB Jimmy Garoppolo Is out indefinitely, Foot
- WR Jordan Matthews IR, Knee
- CB Jason Verrett Is out for season, ACL
- DT Hassan Ridgeway IR, Pectoral
- RB Christian McCaffrey Is probable Sunday vs Philadelphia, Calf
- DT Maurice Hurst IR, Biceps
- CB Emmanuel Moseley Is out for season, ACL
- WR Deebo Samuel Is probable Sunday vs Philadelphia, Ankle
- DE Charles Omenihu Is probable Sunday vs Philadelphia, Oblique
- QB Trey Lance IR; is out for season, Ankle
- CB Ambry Thomas Is OUT Sunday vs Philadelphia, Ankle
- RB Eli Mitchell Is doubtful Sunday vs Philadelphia, Groin
- QB Brock Purdy Has returned to game, Wrist
- DE Robert Quinn IR, Knee
- DE Derek Barnett Is out for season, ACL
- WR Greg Ward IR, Undisclosed
- CB Avonte Maddox Is probable Sunday vs San Francisco, Toe
- S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson IR, Ribs
- P Arryn Siposs Is out indefinitely, Leg
After crunching 8 data points, our relative predictions model has elected to not make a prediction on this game - view the San Francisco vs Philadelphia infographic for details.