Syracuse vs Virginia Tech Prediction, Odds and Best Bets
Syracuse is on the road playing Virginia Tech at the Cassell Coliseum stadium on Saturday, 1/28/2023 @ 7:00pm EST. Virginia Tech -7 was the opening favorite and current line is Virginia Tech -6.5.
After losing 72-68 to North Carolina on Tuesday, Syracuse has lost two of its last three games. In Monday's 78-75 victory over Duke, Virginia Tech snapped a seven-game losing streak. Neither a line nor a total were set at the time this analysis was written. 82-72 was the score of the Orange's victory over Virginia Tech on January 11. Overall, eight of the last 10 meetings between these clubs have been won by the home team.
In a loss to the Tar Heels, the Orange fell short
The Syracuse Orange (13-8, 12-9-0 ATS) fell behind by four points at the half and couldn't overcome it as they lost to North Carolina, 72-68. In the contest, Syracuse made 29 of 58 shots, but only got to the free-throw line three times. Despite having 23 free-throw attempts, the Tar Heels hit 14 of them, which determined the outcome. Three times, Syracuse tied the game, and six times the lead changed. Joseph Girard led the way with 18 points and five assists, followed by two other players in double digits. In addition to Judah Mintz's 17 points, Chris Bell contributed 15 as well.
The Hokies hold off Duke with a skid
After taking a seven-point lead into halftime, the Virginia Tech Hokies defeated the Duke Blue Devils, 78-75. A solid 57.1% of Virginia Tech's shots were from three-point range, including 10-19 (52.6%). Despite shooting 39.1% from beyond the arc, Duke lost the game. Grant Basile had a big night, scoring 24 points and grabbing eight rebounds. On a total of 15 shots, Basile hit 10 of them. Sean Pedulla scored 16 points and Hunter Cattoor scored 15. From the field, both teams shot 50.0%. The team's leading scorer is Pedulla, who averages 16.0 points per game.
Syracuse is slightly better than Virginia Tech, but the Hokies have been outstanding at home, finishing 9-2. Their struggles have been on the road. Therefore, look for Virginia Tech to put on quite a show against the team they must beat in order to improve their position in the ACC. Each of the Orange's last eight games has been decided by 80 points or fewer, and Virginia Tech will not be easy to beat. In their last matchup, the Orange defeated Miami at home by 82 points. Virginia Tech will win by a narrow margin in Blacksburg, however.
With a power ranking of 152, Syracuse is ranked #103 in offense (scoring an average of 75.24 per game), #205 in defense (allowing an average of 70.05 points to be scored against them per game) and are 13-8 (12-9 ATS) this season.
Virginia Tech Highlights
Virginia Tech Hokies has a power ranking of 234 and are #155 for offense (scoring an average of 72.85 per game), #85 for defense (giving up an average of 70.05 points per game) and 12-8 (7-12-1 ATS) overall. Syracuse went 1-2 (1-2 ATS) in their last 3 matchups against Virginia Tech.
Curated Picks & Predictions
- From the lines set by Sportsbooks, they predict the score to be SYR 76.75, VATEC 63.75.
- 51% of SportsJaw predicts Virginia Tech Hokies to cover.
- OddsShark has not made their prediction yet.
- 70% picked Syracuse Orange on Covers.com
- Our ScoreCaster predicts Orange 65 to Hokies 89.
Our prediction: Orange 65 to Hokies 89.
Written by SportsJaw Staff
Categorized as NCAAB Predictions
Current Odds[ - ]
Track your picks and showcase your betting acumen.
Power Rankings[ - ]
Last 10 Games Stats[ + ]
Betting Trends[ + ]
- Syracuse are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Syracuse's last 9 games.
- Syracuse are 10-4 SU in their last 14 games.
- Syracuse are 12-4 SU in their last 16 games against Virginia Tech.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Syracuse's last 5 games on the road.
- Syracuse are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games when playing on the road against Virginia Tech.
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Syracuse's last 12 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- Syracuse are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games played in January.
- Syracuse are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games played on a Saturday.
Virginia Tech Hokies
- Virginia Tech are 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 games.
- Virginia Tech are 1-7 SU in their last 8 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Virginia Tech's last 7 games against Syracuse.
- Virginia Tech are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games at home.
- Virginia Tech are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games when playing at home against Syracuse.
- Virginia Tech are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference.
- Virginia Tech are 3-10-1 ATS in their last 14 games played in January.
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Virginia Tech's last 9 games played on a Saturday.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Virginia Tech's last 5 games played on a Saturday when at home.
Injuries[ - ]
- CJohn Bol Ajak (Is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech, Upper Body)
- CPeter Carey (Is out for season, Leg)
- GRodney Rice (Is out indefinitely, Finger)
Infographics & Predictions[ - ]
Both teams have a compariable offense and the Hokies have a slightly better defense. The Orange won more games straight up and against the spread over their last 3 matchups. Adjusted score predictions based on power rankings and strength of schedule: Orange 64 to Hokies 77.
- C John Bol Ajak Is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech, Upper Body
- C Peter Carey Is out for season, Leg
After crunching 8 relative data points, our relative predictions model has a 63% confidence Orange will cover the spread - view the Syracuse vs Virginia Tech infographic for details on this prediction.